Biotechnology covers a broad area of biological and physical sciences including molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, genetics, anatomy, fermentation technology, biochemical engineering, statistics, and computer technology. It is designed to improve humans’ life quality in several aspects. It can help improve the quality of products in agriculture, aid the development of new and better treatments to combat microorganisms and diseases, and increase production with fermentation technology. This programme is designed to equip students with essential knowledge in biotechnology and bioinformatics so that they can become effective and desirable human resources for both public and private organisations, strengthening their country’s economic stability.
We provide courses covering recent topics in science and technology so that our graduates are well equipped with decent skills and knowledge suitable for their future careers.
We prioritise “Active Learning” teaching method which has been proven to promote student-based education. With our high educational standards in mind, our graduates are expected to be able to work accordingly as a team while having good professional ethics and moral standards. Importantly, they will have sufficient background for their further educations.
Students are required to complete 131-132 credits
A. General Courses: 30 credits
12 credits on language courses
10 credits on humanity and social science courses
8 credits on science and mathematics courses
B. Major Courses: 95-96 credits
44 credits on fundamental science courses
36-37 credits on mandatory courses and job training
15 credits on elective major courses
C. Elective Courses: 6 credits
D. Biotechnology research project (included in section B) OR co-operative education (6 credits)
Job training or co-operative education (if any)
Job training will be held during the summer vacation of the students’ third academic year for a period of 4 weeks. In each week, students are required to attend 3 job training sessions.
Co-operative education will be held 5 days a week in the second semester of the fourth academic year.
Research project (if any): 3-6 credits
Students can choose to conduct a supervised research project in biotechnology, animals, plants, microorganisms, or in medical science, as per their preferences in either the first or second semester of their fourth academic year.
Our Bachelor’s programme provides up-to-date course contents that meet the country’s development in science and technology, suitable for the changing modern society. The programme aims to produce graduates in biotechnology who are well equipped with the knowledge and skills needed for their careers and further education. By applying the science of biotechnology, graduates can exploit biological processes of organisms, or part of their systems, or perform manipulation at the genetic or cellular level to develop or make products for the benefits of the society. Graduates also have good management skill and can work as a team. Importantly, graduates are equipped with professional ethics and moral standards and have responsibility for themselves and society.
Key Learning Outcomes and Skills
At the end of the module, it is expected students will be able to
- Follow professional code of conduct, show good responsibility, be able to work as a team, and show professional ethics.
- Demonstrate the behaviour of giving the benefits of fellow human beings a top priority.
- Present their academic work in English.
- Use information technology to research, analyse data, and present their work appropriately.
- Use sterilisation techniques to select and isolate microorganisms.
- Use basic techniques in molecular biology and biotechnology.
- Use basic bioinformatics tools.
- Utilise basic knowledge of production and application of biomolecules.
- Solve problems correctly by using basic principles in biotechnology.
Students graduated from our Department will be equipped with a wide variety of skills. Some of the careers include
- Researcher or scientist in a public or industrial institution.
- Staff/officer in manufacturing industry such as quality controller and innovator.
- Teacher or lecturer in biotechnology or any relevant fields.
- Applicants must hold a high school diploma in science and mathematics or equivalent.
- Applicants must pass the tests in accordance with the Office of the Higher Education Commission (OHEC) and/or as indicated in the admission regulations issued by Prince of Songkla University
- Students applying for Direct Admission (special admission programme) must satisfy all the requirements specified by the Faculty of Science, Prince of Songkla University
Entry by TCAS system
For more information, please visit the official website http://mytcas.com/
The tuition fee is 18,000 THB per semester for Thai students and 27,000 THB per semester for international students.