This international Doctorate programme is designed to further broaden students’ knowledge in Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology to their maximum capability. The programme duration is 3 years (48 credits) for candidates who hold a Master’s degree and 5 years (72 credits) for candidates who hold a Bachelor’s degree. Additionally, candidates who hold a Master’s degree can choose to spend 12 credits on taught elements (24 credits for those with a Bachelor’s degree) and the rest being credits for their theses. The taught elements are designed to be enrolled by both MSc and PhD students. After completing the taught elements, students will have acquired an understanding of topics in several areas of bioinformatics and molecular biology, which will be beneficial for their thesis.
|Plan A1||Plan A2||Plan B1||Plan B2|
|Taught elements (credits)||-||12||-||24|
- Plan A is a 3-year programme for applicants who hold a Master's degree
- Plan B is a 5-year programme for applicants who hold a Bachelor's degree
Students can choose the topic of their interests and are encouraged to plan their research and design experiments by themselves. Experienced experts in relevant fields are also available to give them guidance whenever they need.
Our doctoral programme aims to produce graduates who can perform effective research that meets international standards and, at the same time, satisfies the country’s needs. We prepare our students to become knowledgeable researchers with competency in carrying out comprehensive research in molecular biology and bioinformatics. Graduates keep themselves up to date with recent technologies and can integrate their knowledge into other fields of science. Graduates can plan, analyse, produce their work, and solve complex problems effectively while showing high professional ethics and moral standards.
Key Learning Outcomes and Skills
At the end of the module, it is expected students will be able to
- Appropriately deploy Bioinformatics tools for data analyses in molecular biology.
- Associate knowledge in Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics with other disciplines and seek the opportunity to utilise the knowledge for the benefit in academia, and/or applications, and/or community.
- Develop research outlines, plan, and design experiments under supervision.
- Correctly and systematically use mathematical and statistical methods to analyse experimental results.
- Effectively communicate with academics, either inside or outside their field of expertise, and general audiences.
- Show good use of English language for science communication including in academic conferences.
- Demonstrate professional ethics for researchers in all of their scientific endeavours.
- Work accordingly as a team.
Students graduated from our Department will be equipped with a wide variety of skills while having their major expertise in their chosen fields of interests. Some of the careers that graduates can pursue, in both private and public institutions, include
- Lecturer in molecular biology, modern biotechnology, bioinformatics, bioengineering, genetic engineering, or any relevant fields.
- Researcher or scientist in a private institution, laboratory, working on DNA or gene analysis, genetic engineering, or DNA fingerprinting.
- Bioinformatician or genetic engineer.
- Technician for scientific instruments for analysing biological molecules.
- Post-doctoral research fellow at a leading university in Thailand.
For students applying for the 3-year doctoral program (Plan A)
Applicants must hold a Master's degree in Science or any related field.
For students applying for the 5-year doctoral program (Plan B)
Applicants must hold a Bachelor's degree with honours or a GPA of 3.25 or above in Science or any related field.
English Language Requirements
Postgraduate applicants who are not nationals of a majority English speaking country must be able to provide recent evidence of their English language skills. Accepted tests and minimum scores are shown below
CU-TEP 50 overall PSU-TEP 50 overall TOEFL 450 paper-based (or equivalent) IELTS band 4.5
We currently do not have the information available. Please come back soon.
Graduate School Scholarships
Information about scholarships from Graduate School can be found at https://grad.psu.ac.th/en/prospective-students/scholarships.html
The tuition fee is 28,000 THB per semester for Thai students and 56,000 THB per semester for international students.